Just a quick note before you begin: If you are under 18, please move on to the next site. This blog and all it's contents were written by an adult, presumably for adults. Since I do not intend to censor my writing, whether it contains sex, violence, or gratuitous references to whatever other potentially offensive thing out there, I ask that you please enter with caution and your eyes wide open. Just in Case.

Friday, September 14, 2007

45 Master Characters

I recently picked up a copy of 45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Charactersand went through it, one character archetype at a type. I was looking for inspiration for my novel, as my heroine seemed insipid and stupid and my hero had a multiple personality disorder that confused even me.

After reading about the mythic models, and the subsequent chapters on the male and female journey, I discovered what the problem was. My action-adventure romance was not a masculine journey - for all the blood and sex, it was a feminine one. Odd.

After reworking the female character and bringing back her father (sniff - I had a great coffin scene) so she could properly fulfill her role as a Nurturer, and beating my hero and telling him he had to pick one personality and stick with it, the book is in much better shape.

No comments: