Just a quick note before you begin: If you are under 18, please move on to the next site. This blog and all it's contents were written by an adult, presumably for adults. Since I do not intend to censor my writing, whether it contains sex, violence, or gratuitous references to whatever other potentially offensive thing out there, I ask that you please enter with caution and your eyes wide open. Just in Case.

Friday, September 7, 2007

Word Count - 3082


I have discovered, through keeping a small log this past week, one of the reasons I am having so much difficulty concentrating on the actual writing. I can take snippets of time and make a map, or a book cover, or outline the next scene, or figure out what color the heroine's mother's ex-boyfriend's eyes are. But to make the characters, setting, plot come alive, I have to visualize it - much like I would run a movie scene through my head - and try to pick out details that matter. But I have to be able to watch the movie!

Imagine this. You are trying to watch a show, and someone walks in front of you. You are disrupted, broken from the flow for a moment, but it can be quickly recovered and possibly not noticed. Someone knocks on the door. Should I make lunch now? Yes, go ahead. Back to book.

Then, a few seconds later, they do it again. Knock knock. Yes? Should I make pancakes or soup? Soup, we had pancakes yesterday. ok. Back to book.

Alright, now you are annoyed, but you soon get back into the flow. The hero is just about to take the head off a rival when they trip over the cord and unplug the television set. Knock knock. YES? Are you eating today? Author looks at the door, confused. Why wouldn't I eat? I don't know, maybe you are fasting or something. No, I'm eating. Okay, lunch is ready then. Saves work in progress and goes to eat with waiting family.

You plug the screen back in, turn the movie back on, spend several minutes searching for your lost place, re-watch the last scene because you can't quite remember what was going on. The hero is just about to take the head off a rival (same scene!) when someone comes in and says there's a news flash you have to watch. Knock knock. YES?? I need to use the computer. Okay, what for? I have to send this email to Important Customer. Okay, that is really important, give me a moment. Saves work and turns over computer.

Yes, that is a typical work session* for me. Looking back, I'm amazed I manage to write anything at all.

*Note - I was interrupted 3 times during the writing of this blog entry - one of which required me to leave my seat.

No comments: