Just a quick note before you begin: If you are under 18, please move on to the next site. This blog and all it's contents were written by an adult, presumably for adults. Since I do not intend to censor my writing, whether it contains sex, violence, or gratuitous references to whatever other potentially offensive thing out there, I ask that you please enter with caution and your eyes wide open. Just in Case.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Word Count - 311

I tried the snowflake method, and my OCD personality really wanted it to work, but it just seemed to sap all of the creativity out the story. I felt like I was pushing along through sludge. I apparently like the discovery of the story as much as the writing, but I need a way to keep the storyline focused and not wandering all over the place.

In any case, I chucked the outline I'd created, reworked a few characters, dropped a few more, and ended up with a cleaner book and a few less pages of notes. I logged 311 new words today, but some cutting took out a bit, so the total actually went down. I'm not upset, though, because a large portion of my writing time was well spent fixing a glaring plot hole and learning something extraordinary about my characters that astounded me. The first part of the book simply fell together, and I'm satisfied with the day's progress.

We're all climbing the same mountain, and it's alway useful, I think, to know how others have gone up the thing, whether you intend to follow a similar route or an entirely different one. ~ Holly Lisle

No comments: