Just a quick note before you begin: If you are under 18, please move on to the next site. This blog and all it's contents were written by an adult, presumably for adults. Since I do not intend to censor my writing, whether it contains sex, violence, or gratuitous references to whatever other potentially offensive thing out there, I ask that you please enter with caution and your eyes wide open. Just in Case.

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Word Count - 3060


I've come to the conclusion that I am not too excited to finish this book because certain parts of it - well - just plain suck.

Take the main character, for instance. For an aggressive interstellar prince of a war-like race he is rather, shall we say, diplomatic? And his name? Way to Earthy. Not in the "ooh, I'd love to get my hands on that beef" type of earthy, more like the "um, I have a friend named that - what are the odds a prince in another galaxy would have the same name" type.

I need to find a strong name for this character. Yes, yes, I know he's been used to this name for years now, but he obviously hasn't done anything with it other than to ramble on about this injustice or another for 40k words, so it's time to rename him and put the punch back in his personality.

To my recalcitrant hero: You are not the mediator! You are the aggressor! You are tall, and dark, and strong. You are not a suit, you are a sword. For god's sake, go blow up a competing planet or something.

I did discover a neat tidbit about my writing speed. When I do write, no matter how long I seem to write, my creative process takes about 750 words per hour to get from my brain to the paper, er, computer screen. I actually pen a lot slower.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau

No comments: